Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is the Point...if Kids Keep Getting Killed

Teen son of NYPD Detective Sean Lawrence slain near Brooklyn playground

"When I heard the shots I ran," said one 10-year-old boy. "That's what you're supposed to do."

What is the world coming too? People, especially children, should not have to fear the sunlight because some selfish people choose violence to settle their problems. It is even sadder that this occured on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. A day that is supposed to celebrate and commemorate a life that was devoted to equality and non violent passive resistances. I feel like MLK would be extremely disappointed in the progress that this country has made. He did not put everything on the line, for people to continue to hate and kill. I realize a lot of his activism was for racial equality, but I feel like he wanted a better place for all to live. He wanted a world were communication could solve problems, not guns. And anyways, the bullet that hit this poor boy did not solve ANY problems. The person who the bullet was intended for was not killed, and the conflict is still arising on the streets, which makes me fear that another innocent life will be lost. What is the point in living, if children have to live in fear? I am so thankful that gang violence has not played a direct role in my life, but am highly disturbed that it plays a role in so many youths lives. There has to be a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment